Whether you are setting-up in business or an established growing business, you may be eligible to apply for grants in the following areas.
- Towards setting up and developing a business
- Towards expenditure on capital equipment
- To provide a contribution towards business rates
- The creation of employment
- Security works
- Towards the introduction and development of information technology
- Accessing new national and international markets
We currently operate the following financial assistance schemes. Funding is available to businesses setting up and existing businesses located in Hartlepool.
Hartlepool Enterprise Development Fund
The Hartlepool Enterprise Development Fund is available to all businesses based within or setting up in the Borough of Hartlepool.
The fund is available to new start businesses or those currently trading but under 3 years old and employing less than 10 people.
The purpose of the fund is to assist individuals with the costs of starting up in business or for those businesses already trading to assist with expansion projects that involve capital expenditure or stock purchase.
Sole traders can apply for assistance for up to £2,000 and other forms of businesses can apply for up to £5,000.
To be eligible for assistance, the business must be involved in some form of manufacturing or providing services to the manufacturing sector.
Businesses involved in the retail sector, motor trade or financial services are not normally eligible for assistance unless they can prove some special circumstances.
Businesses involved in betting/gaming or any activities involving politics, religion, pornography and clairvoyancy are not eligible.
Main Grant Scheme
The Hartlepool Main Grants package is available to eligible businesses who are undertaking projects that involve capital expenditure and the creation of full time permanent jobs.
The scheme is available to manufacturing companies or manufacturing related service companies only.
- Rates Equivalent Grant - Grant support can amount to 50% of the first year's business rates subject to a maximum of £10,000.
- Capital Investment Grant - Grant support can amount to 50% of eligible costs on plant and equipment up to a maximum of £10,000.
- Jobs Creation Grant - Grant support can amount to £1,000 per job created for unemployed Hartlepool residents up to a maximum of £10,000.
Business Security Grant
The Business Security Grant Scheme is part of the Hartlepool Borough Council Business Grants Package and is available to all businesses based within the Borough of Hartlepool.
The grant is ONLY available to businesses involved in some form of manufacturing or the associated service sector.
The fund is designed to help businesses to implement security measures to their premises and sites. Eligible security works can include:
- Security Alarm
- Roller Shutters
- Security Doors
- Window Grilles
- Security Fencing
- Security Lighting
The grant is available to cover 50% of total eligible costs up to a maximum of £2,500 for the purchase and installation of security equipment.
Women's Development Fund - Enterprise Award
If you are a female resident in Hartlepool who is setting up your own new business or new form of self-employment, you can apply for up to £500 for advertising and publicity to help promote your new business.
Access to Markets Fund
The Access to Markets Project aims to encourage and support businesses that would like to trade both regionally and nationally with the view to eventually trading overseas.
As part of this initiative funding in the form of a grant is available to all businesses based within or setting up in the Borough of Hartlepool via the Access to Markets Fund.
A grant of up to 50% of the costs of a project, with a maximum grant of £2,500 is available to eligible activities including:
- Attendance at Exhibitions - for businesses looking to hire space at a UK exhibition.
- Publicity Materials - to produce new publicity materials, including brochures and leaflets. Additionally, the cost of exhibition stands can be considered.
- Bespoke Marketing Exercises - assist towards the cost of specialist marketing exercises, including the purchase of specialist mail listings or research into specific markets.
- Websites - assist towards the cost of developing a website, provided this support is not available elsewhere.
ICT Bursary / Grant Scheme
The bursary/grant scheme has been established to assist new and young businesses within Hartlepool to develop their business using technology.
Business start-ups and developing SME's who have been trading for a minimum 6 months and maximum 24 months are eligible to apply. All beneficiaries must be Hartlepool businesses or residents.
ICT start-ups, start-ups using technology and existing businesses who wish to use technology to develop their company can apply for financial assistance of upto 50% costs up to £2,000 towards the purchase of equipment, training, research and development of products, consultancy, software etc.
Tees Valley Unlimited
Tees Valley Unlimited is the Local Enterprise Partnership for the area, which aims to deliver jobs and economic growth across the Tees Valley. TVU can assist businesses to access support and financial incentives to help businesses invest to create jobs for the local economy. Please click here for further information on what assistance TVU can offer.
Other Assistance Available in Hartlepool
There are other financial assistance schemes available to businesses such as grants as well as venture capital and loan equity from a variety of support organisations both in the North East and nationally. Further information is available from the Governement Portal GOV.UK
Businesses can also get advice and support over the phone on starting and running a business from the National Business Support Helpline (0300) 456 3565.
For further details of the above mentioned schemes and what is currently available for your project please contact the Hartlepool Enterprise Team.